“My mother made this recipe after tasting her mother-in-law's cornbread dressing. We get together every November to make it, take out what we need for the holiday, and then freeze the leftovers to eat during the year.” —Colleen Ruple, Beaumont, Texas
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 5 cups water
- 8 cups sliced celery (about 1-1/2 bunches)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 slices white bread, cubed
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Pour into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a two Dutch ovens, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, celery, green peppers, garlic, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In several large bowls, crumble corn bread into 1/2-in. pieces. Stir in white bread, broth, onions and parsley. Add sausage mixture. Divide among four greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Cover and bake at 350° 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 58 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Calico Corn Bread Dressing in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p51
Reviews for Calico Corn Bread Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review