Calico Chili Recipe
I developed this recipe myself when I was 16. It freezes well and almost tastes better the day after you make it. The variety of vegetables make it colorful to serve and give it the calico name.—Camille Gouldsborough, Grosse Isle, Manitoba.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup diced zucchini, optional
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings (10 cups).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 229 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Calico Chili
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC