"On summer Sundays when our children were young, we'd often invite guests for cookouts," recalls Maryann Bondonese of Nazareth, Pennsylvania. "These unique burgers were always a hit."
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Shape into four to six oval patties. Grill over hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness, about 15-20 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan; simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with burgers. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Calico Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p17
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Calico Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
"These are equally good served on buns with all the hamburger fixings. I like to add a few drops of Liquid Smoke to the barbecue sauce."