"On summer Sundays when our children were young, we'd often invite guests for cookouts," recalls Maryann Bondonese of Nazareth, Pennsylvania. "These unique burgers were always a hit."
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Shape into four to six oval patties. Grill over hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness, about 15-20 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan; simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with burgers. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Calico Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p17
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Calico Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
"These are equally good served on buns with all the hamburger fixings. I like to add a few drops of Liquid Smoke to the barbecue sauce."