Calico Black Bean Salad Recipe
This salad reflects the Caribbean culture here in South Florida. The combination of black beans, tomatoes and onions with a vinaigrette is great alongside pork or chicken. It’s perfect for picnics and convenient, too, since you can make it a day ahead.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a salad bowl, combine the beans, green onions, tomatoes, onion and red pepper.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 123 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC