Calico Beans Recipe
I made this once for my dad and now my mom has to make it often. It's one of his favorites. --Suzanne Kern
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Calico Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC