- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Calico Beans
Sort By :
"I have made this dish for potlucks and family dinners numerous times and am always asked for the recipe. I use a 13 by 9 inch baking dish and add an interesting twist by turning the oven up to 400 degrees during the last 10-15 minutes and topping the beans with canned biscuits (Grands are great!) and sprinkling shredded cheese on top of the biscuits. Bake until the biscuits are fluffy and brown."
"Just took these to my niece's wedding reception! A gal searched me out as I was leaving with my crockpot to find out "who made those beans!!" Made my day! Best and easiest recipe ever!!!"
"Very good, exactly the recipe I was looking for! Doubled it and took it for Christmas dinner, still had plenty of leftovers. I used recipe ready bacon bits and no one could tell!"
"Misplaced the Taste of Homes this came in so had to go on line to look it up. We just love this recipe for calico beans, I do add one more thing, 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke (or adjust to your taste). Makes it taste like cooked over an open fire."
"Love this recipe! It's always requested for our 4th of July party!. I actually make it without the hamburger (hey, what the heck your hamburgers are grillin' later anyway!) and throw it in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours and voila' , sit back, light a sparkler, grab a cold one and enjoy the party!"