- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line an 8-in.-square baking pan with foil, letting ends extend over sides by 1 in. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa; add butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cracker crumbs, coconut and, if desired, almonds. Press into prepared pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk until smooth; spread over crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spread over top. Refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift bars out of pan. Discard foil; cut into bars. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Calgary Nanaimo Bars
Sort By :
These are excellent! I think the next time I make them, I will double the glaze on top.
These are very rich but most loved them. I had a little trouble trying to figure out cooking crust (1st layer) to 160 degrees since I (& most?) do not have a candy/food thermometer. A better description of that part of the recipe should be noted. These bars are not for anyone watching the fats & sugars in their diet.
What can I use in place of cocoanut .? Only thing I do not have on hand.