- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line an 8-in.-square baking pan with foil, letting ends extend over sides by 1 in. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa; add butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cracker crumbs, coconut and, if desired, almonds. Press into prepared pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk until smooth; spread over crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spread over top. Refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift bars out of pan. Discard foil; cut into bars. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Calgary Nanaimo Bars
Sort By :
"These bars have been part of my Minnesota family for over 50 years. Ours are named Dairy Bars due to all of the wonderful butter used in them. Growing up on a dairy farm and then marrying a farmer makes these extra special."
"These are excellent! I think the next time I make them, I will double the glaze on top."
"These are very rich but most loved them. I had a little trouble trying to figure out cooking crust (1st layer) to 160 degrees since I (& most?) do not have a candy/food thermometer. A better description of that part of the recipe should be noted. These bars are not for anyone watching the fats & sugars in their diet."