Calendula Corn Muffins
This muffin is truly unique with calendula petals mixed in the batter. They are a perfect side for a big bowl of chili.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup calendula petals (about 6 blossoms)
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine
- flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture
- alternately with buttermilk. Stir in the corn, cheese and calendula
- petals just until mixed Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups
- two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 15 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 210 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.