Cake with Silky Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- Pink paste food coloring or color of your choice
- 1. Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, vanilla and salt until blended. Beat in confectioners' sugar, alternately with enough milk to reach desired consistency.
- 3. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake, using no more than 1 cup frosting.
- 4. Remove 1 cup frosting to each of two small bowls; tint 1 cup frosting light pink and leave 1 cup frosting white. Tint remaining frosting dark pink.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the tip of three pastry bags or in a corner of three food-safe plastic bags; insert the same-size medium round tip in each. Fill each with a different color frosting.
- 6. To decorate side of cake, pipe a row of four evenly-spaced 1/2-in. dots down side of cake, making one white dot, one light pink dot and two dark pink dots. Using the back of teaspoons from your flatware (a different one for each color), gently swipe each dot to the right. Repeat with additional rows, piping each new row of dots to the right of the previous row, until side of cake is almost completely covered. Pipe a final row of dots to fill uncovered section.
- 7. To decorate top of cake, make concentric circles of different colored frosting, piping dots one at a time and swiping each dot before piping another. In center, pipe four dots of same color; swipe each dot toward the center. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Cake with Silky Buttercream Frosting
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.