Here's a delightful way to use up your harvest of rhubarb. Fresh from the oven, the bubbling dessert is wonderful with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.—Ruth Johnson, Elkton, Maryland
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert in Country Woman May/June 2005, p51
Reviews for Cake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review