- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, brown sugar and butter; cook for 5 minutes or until saucy. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating just until combined.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls over blueberry mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p23
Reviews for Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review