Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert Recipe
Bountiful blueberries are the basis for this refreshing meal-ender from Ellen Carleton of Mont Vernon, New Hampshire. "A yummy cake layer with delicate orange flavor crowns sweet berriesit's perfect for summer menus," she says. "And it can be made in a jiffy."
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, brown sugar and butter; cook for 5 minutes or until saucy. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating just until combined.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls over blueberry mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p23
Reviews for Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Cobbler Recipes >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Crisps & Cobblers >