JUST like the outdoor kind, this frosty figure from our kitchen staff is sure to melt...only it'll be your mouth! The cute-as can-be character is completely edible, from its chocolate candy buttons and coconut snowflakes to the licorice scarf and gumdrop nose. What's more, you'll be able to build the confection without using a specially shaped pan. How? CT's cooks baked the cakes in ordinary ovenproof bowls, a muffin pan and custard cups. So go ahead—just gather the ingredients and roll out a snowman today!
Featured In: 19 Ways to Build a Snowman Treat
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) pound cake mix
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 3-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (about 10 ounces)
- 2 brown M&M's
- 3 green M&M's
- 1 large orange gumdrops
- 4-1/2 teaspoons miniature chocolate chips
- 1 chocolate wafer
- 6 pieces red shoestring licorice, divided
- 1 large green gumdrop
- 2 red M&M'S
- Two 10-ounce custard cups
- Prepare cake mixes according to package directions. Pour batter into two greased 1-qt. ovenproof bowls, two greased 10-oz. custard cups and one greased muffin cup.
- In a 350° oven, bake muffin cup for 18-20 minutes, custard cups for 45-50 minutes and bowls for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing cakes from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream the shortening and butter in a bowl. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- Head and body: Use serrated knife to level the cakes.
- For the body, place one large round cake flat side up on the 8-in. serving plate. Frost the top of the cake. Place the remaining large cake on top with the flat side down and edges even. Frost the top and sides.
- For the head, place one custard cup cake with flat side up on top of body. Frost the top of the cake. Place the remaining custard cup cake on top with the flat side down and edges even. Frost the top and sides. Set aside 1/4 cup of frosting for hat.
- Press coconut over the top and sides of snowman, reserving some to sprinkle on plate later. Press two brown M&M's onto face for the eyes and three green M&M'S onto body for the buttons.
- Use your fingers to shape the orange gumdrop into a carrot shape. Press wide end onto face for the nose.
- Hat: Place reserved frosting in a bowl. Melt chocolate chips. Stir melted chips into frosting until blended. Frost top of wafer. With top of cupcake down, place cupcake on top of frosted wafer. Frost cupcake with remaining frosting. Place hat on snowman's head.
- Wrap two licorice pieces around hat just above brim and trim as needed.
- Flatten green gumdrop between waxed paper. Using sharp knife, cut a holly leaf shape from gumdrop and place on hat brim. Place two red M&M'S on brim next to holly leaf for the berries.
- Finishing: Press the ends of two licorice pieces together to create one long piece. Repeat with remaining two pieces of licorice. Tie long licorice pieces around neck for scarf.
- Sprinkle plate with reserved coconut. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Snowman Cake in Country Woman November/December 2003, p26
Reviews for Cake Snowman
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review