"I got the recipe for these yummy traditional treats from a camp cook who has prepared them for years, to the delight of campers," shares Dawn Fagerstrom of Warren, Minnesota.
72 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add the sugar, sour cream, butter and
- vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to sour
- cream mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut
- with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain
- on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Yield: about 6 dozen.