"I got the recipe for these yummy traditional treats from a camp cook who has prepared them for years, to the delight of campers," shares Dawn Fagerstrom of Warren, Minnesota.
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add the sugar, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to sour cream mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Cake Doughnuts in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p8
Reviews for Cake Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review