- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add the sugar, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to sour cream mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Cake Doughnuts
"As a reviewer stated below, the dough was too soft to roll out. I would suggest refrigerating it for about 20 to 30 minutes to allow the gluten to relax and the fat (melted butter) to firm up a bit, then proceed as directed. This should help! Looking forward to trying this recipe!"
"The dough was too soft to roll out, more like a thick cake batter so I just used a cookie scoop and made doughnut holes instead. It worked pretty good. These are really moist donuts with a good flavor. They're yummy and I will be making them again."
"we are making the donuts as I type, I recommend that you split the dough up and only make what you can. You'll make the rest the next day. They are so good and you don't need toppings. Though if you must,and need a little sugar on it. cinnamon and sugar is just fine."
"They were tasty . But they didn't stay fresh tasting very long."