Cake Doughnut Mix Recipe
In Queensburg, New York, Diane Terry relies on a nicely spiced combination of ingredients to prepare these delicious doughnuts. They're terrific served warm with hot coffee or cold milk.
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch of doughnuts):
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (about 9 cups total).
- 2. To prepare doughnuts: Place 4-1/2 cups doughnut mix in a large bowl. Combine eggs, milk and vanilla; stir into doughnut mix just until moistened. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 15-20 times. Pat dough out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry a few doughnuts at a time, until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC