Cajun Stir-Fry Recipe
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup each minced fresh basil, oregano and parsley or 4 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry the chicken, kielbasa, onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add the peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup stir-fry mixture, calculated without spaghetti) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 555 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer