Cajun Sausage Bread
I found this fun recipe in a newspaper years ago and always serve it up for special brunches-and for my Super Bowl crowd. The spicy, stick-to-your-ribs loaf really warms folks up, and family and friends just rave about it.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; add garlic. Cook over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine
- the onions, green pepper and jalapenos. Stir in the sausage mixture
- and cheese; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf of dough into a 13-in. x
- 9-in. rectangle. Top with sausage mixture to within 1/2 in. of
- edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting on greased baking sheets.
- Brush with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 152 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.