Cajun Red Beans Recipe
I like to make this main dish when I'm having company for dinner, since it serves a bunch. Warm corn bread makes a great accompaniment.
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 1 large ham bone
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add the ham bone, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.
- 3. Remove ham bone, when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone and discard bone. Set meat aside. To the bean mixture, add the onions, green pepper, parsley, tomato sauce, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Cook on low for 1 hour.
- 4. Add sausage and reserved ham; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 349 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1,364 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Cajun Red Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC