Cajun Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 226 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.