- 40 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup each pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and nutmeg
- 40 green onions, thinly sliced
- 15 medium onions, chopped
- 10 medium green peppers, chopped
- 40 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups butter
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 6 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 bottle (64 ounces) ketchup
- 8 packages (8 ounces each) dry bread crumbs (20 cups)
- 36 eggs, beaten
- 30 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 10 pounds ground pork
- Combine the seasonings; set aside. In Dutch ovens, saute onions, green peppers and garlic in butter until tender. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and reserved seasonings. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Remove from the heat; stir in milk and ketchup. Cool.
- Add bread crumbs and eggs; mix well. In several large bowls, combine beef, pork and vegetable mixture; mix well. Pat into 11 greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Yield: 175-200 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Meat Loaf in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p54
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cajun Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review