"When I follow my favorite meat loaf recipe, I end up with an extra half pound of ground beef," relates June Ellis. "So I came up with this easy dish to use it up." The Erie, Illinois cook brings this fast family-pleaser to the dinner table at a savvy 76 cents a plate.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min,
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and celery
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes
- and Cajun seasoning. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring
- Meanwhile, prepare macaroni and cheese according to package
- directions, using 2 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon butter. Stir
- in beef mixture; cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 337 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.