Cajun Hot Dish Recipe
"I invented this dish to satisfy my cravings for something zesty," writes RoxAnne Wienckowski. "It's a great standby for busy nights. It takes only minutes, and I'm always sure to keep the ingredients on hand," adds the Wautoma, Wisconsin cook.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 cup V8 juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute sausage and onion until sausage is lightly browned. Add corn; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the beans, V8 juice, paprika, cumin and cayenne if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 657 calories, 36 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 1,934 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC