Cajun Corn Soup with Shrimp Recipe
Cajun flavor dominates this wonderful soup. Living in Louisiana make cooking with Cajun spice second nature. It is the best!—Debra Dennis, Convent, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 quarts hot water or heated chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 8 cups cut corn or 4 cans (16 ounces each) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine oil and flour until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until mixture is reddish-brown (the color of a penny). Add onion and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 2. Increase heat to high. Add hot water or broth, tomatoes and corn. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC