Cajun Corn Soup with Shrimp
Cajun flavor dominates this wonderful soup. Living in Louisiana make cooking with Cajun spice second nature. It is the best!—Debra Dennis, Convent, Louisiana
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 quarts hot water or heated chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 8 cups cut corn or 4 cans (16 ounces each) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine oil and flour
- until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring
- constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes
- more or until mixture is reddish-brown (the color of a penny). Add
- onion and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Increase heat to high. Add hot water or broth, tomatoes and corn.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add
- shrimp; simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Season to
- taste with salt and pepper. Yield: 12 servings.