Cajun Chicken Penne Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, toss chicken with 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in 3/4 cup milk.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Combine flour with remaining Cajun seasoning and milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cups: 432 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Cajun Chicken Penne
"I have actually made this many times - and I remember making it as the recipe states. A lot of people have asked for this recipe when I make it!"
"it has a good basic idea but there are some things that need work i will not make this agian unless i made alot of changes"
"I substituted 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, and used regular milk as I didn't have any evaporated on hand. Added 1 tsp. extra cajun and some cayenne."
"I really loved this recipe, and can't believe how wonderfully creamy the sauce turns out. I added fresh mushrooms, which were a hit, although next time I will leave out one pepper. Also, I added salt to taste, and felt it still needed a bite: I'd add cayenne and grated parmigiano for a little kick."