Cajun Chicken Penne Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, toss chicken with 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in 3/4 cup milk.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Combine flour with remaining Cajun seasoning and milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cups equals 432 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.