Cajun Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup diced peeled eggplant
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Score surface of chicken with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes. Combine the Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and pepper; rub over chicken. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until blackened. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the zucchini, celery, onion, eggplant and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 3. Return chicken to the pan. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with green onion. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1 cup vegetables (calculated without rice) equals 264 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 743 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.