- 1 stewing chicken (about 6 pounds)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Place chicken in a large stockpot; cover with water. Add the bay leaves, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; set aside to cool. Strain broth, discarding seasonings. Set aside 6 cups broth for the soup; save remaining broth for another use. Skim fat from soup broth. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Shred and set aside 3 cups chicken (save remaining chicken for another use).
- In a large stockpot, saute onion and celery in butter until onion is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, orange juice, cilantro, seasonings and reserved broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice, beans and reserved chicken; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cajun Chicken & Rice Soup
Sort By :
My husband and I absolutely love soup, and this is one of our favorites! I love how it has rice and beans -- very comforting and delicious!
IT is simply awesome. I made it for my dinner club friends last night and we LOVED it. Just the right amount of heat and lots of flavor.
What a fantastic recipe! Kids definitely approved. I used fresh tomatoes and canned green chilies...improvised on the Cajun seasoning. But, what a great fresh-tasting soup! Leftovers are already in the freezer for another day. Next time, though, I will wait to put the cilantro in last...to add the "fresh" cilantro taste. Yum!
This is our all time favorite soup....all year!