- discarding seasonings. Set aside 6 cups broth for the soup; save
- remaining broth for another use. Skim fat from soup broth. When cool
- enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Shred
- and set aside 3 cups chicken (save remaining chicken for another
- In a large stockpot, saute onion and celery in butter until onion is
- crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the
- tomatoes, orange juice, cilantro, seasonings and reserved broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice, beans and reserved
- chicken; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 393 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 120 mg cholesterol, 776 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.