- 4-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 11 cups cubed French bread (1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup raisins, optional
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
- PRALINE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups of milk until warm; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and remaining milk. Gradually add warmed milk, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Add bread cubes; let soak 10 minutes. Add cinnamon, and raisins and/or pecans if desired.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- For sauce, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar; stir to dissolve. Add corn syrup. Bring to boil; cook 15-20 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, vanilla, butter and salt. Cut pudding into squares and serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCajun Bread Pudding
"@ cooker69 - perhaps you should subscribe to Cooking Light if the amount of calories offend your ubercalorie-counting sensibilities."
"over 900 calories 85gr of fat, are you kidding ??? you should call this suicide pudding,,,,,,"