Cajun Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2-1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash ground cloves
- 1. Tie tenderloin at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Combine the seasonings; rub over beef. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill beef, covered, over indirect medium heat for 50-60 minutes, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), turning occasionally. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- 3. To roast the tenderloin, bake on a rack in a shallow roasting pan at 425° for 45-60 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness. Yield: 12 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef equals 172 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.