Have little ones who won't eat veggies? They won't complain one bit when you bring this cheesy casserole with a corn bread crust to the table. For picky eaters, try using less Cajun seasoning. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, vegetables, tomato paste and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.
Freeze option: Wrap individual portions of cooled casserole in plastic wrap and transfer to a resealable plastic bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole and transfer to a baking dish. Bake until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Beef Casserole in Simple & Delicious December/January 2012, p19
Reviews for Cajun Beef Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review