- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, vegetables, tomato paste and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.
- Freeze option: Wrap individual portions of cooled casserole in plastic wrap and transfer to a resealable plastic bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole and transfer to a baking dish. Bake until a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cajun Beef Casserole
Sort By :
"This reminded me of shepherd's pie - with cornbread and cajun seasoning instead of mashed potatoes...on the bottom. I have to admit the first few bites are...interesting. This was a new concept and took some getting used to. But I still want to make it again! With the cornbread, I thought it might be a rather heavy meal, but was surprised to find that it wasn't. I was very glad that I saw the other reviews saying to leave the liquids in - the recipe certainly needed it. I did not have the right size pan and had to make this with a deep 8x8 pyrex (which fits more than my 9x9 pan. I don't recommend using the 8x8... Things I will change for next time: 1) pre-cook the mixed vegetables. They were not mushy enough. 2) I won't use the standard bag of mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans) - the carrots and the lima beans just didn't go with the rest, especially with how hard they were."
"This is a great tasting recipe, I liked it, easy to prepare, ideal for late weeknight cooking"
"I found this recipe to be rather dry & tasteless. If I decide to make this again I won't drain the tomatoes & will add more spice."
"AWESOME!! NOTHING BETTER THAN COMFORT FOOD!"
"This was very good and so easy. It is always helpful to read other reviews before making any dish and I took the suggestion of not draining the tomatoes. I think it needed that extra liquid. I was a bit generous with the cajun seasoning as we like things pretty spicy and considered adding a can of green chilies but didn't have any! The corn bread was excellent with the meat mixture! We will definitely make this casserole again!"