Cafe's Pecan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
About ten years ago, a gal gave me a bar cookie recipe and told me not to be put off by the cake mix in the ingredients. I tried it and liked the taste. The next time, I made it into a pie gussied up with a caramel sauce and whipped cream.—Nila Towler, Baird, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Line two 9-in. pie plates with waxed paper or parchment paper; coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and milk. Beat in eggs, cinnamon and salt. Pour into prepared pans. Sprinkle with dry cake mix. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with pecans; press down lightly. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 hours on wire racks. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Invert pies onto serving plates; remove waxed paper. Chill.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and cream; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. For topping, in a bowl, beat cream until foamy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- 4. Cut the pie into slices; drizzle with caramel sauce and dollop with topping. Yield: 2 pies (10 servings each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 646 calories, 42 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC