Cafe's Pecan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
About ten years ago, a gal gave me a bar cookie recipe and told me not to be put off by the cake mix in the ingredients. I tried it and liked the taste. The next time, I made it into a pie gussied up with a caramel sauce and whipped cream.Nila Towler, Baird, Texas
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with waxed paper or parchment paper; coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and milk. Beat in eggs, cinnamon and salt. Pour into prepared pans. Sprinkle with dry cake mix. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with pecans; press down lightly. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 hours on wire racks. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Invert pies onto serving plates; remove waxed paper. Chill.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and cream; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. For topping, in a bowl, beat cream until foamy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Cut the pie into slices; drizzle with caramel sauce and dollop with topping. Yield: 2 pies (10 servings each).
Originally published as Cafe's Pecan Pumpkin Pie in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p51
Reviews for Cafe's Pecan Pumpkin Pie(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review