Cabbage Zucchini Borscht Recipe
- 1 pound meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon aniseed
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups chopped cooked beets
- 1. Place soup bones and water in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.
- 2. Skim off fat. Add the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onion, parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Place aniseed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to stockpot. Simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- 3. Remove meat from soup bones; discard bones and add meat to soup. Stir in zucchini and beets. Simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Remove spice bag before serving. Yield: 12-14 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup equals 0 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.
Reviews for Cabbage Zucchini Borscht
"Doesn't 2-1/2 to 3 hours seem like way too much time to cook the vegetables?"