VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon aniseed
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups chopped cooked beets
- Place soup bones and water in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.
- Skim off fat. Add the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onion, parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Place aniseed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to stockpot. Simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from soup bones; discard bones and add meat to soup. Stir in zucchini and beets. Simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Remove spice bag before serving. Yield: 12-14 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Cabbage Zucchini Borscht in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p57
Reviews forCabbage Zucchini Borscht
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2012
"Doesn't 2-1/2 to 3 hours seem like way too much time to cook the vegetables?"