Cabbage Wraps Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Minute® Brown Rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 8 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture on each reserved cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, basil, thyme and sugar. Spread half on the bottom of an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with cabbage rolls and remaining tomato sauce mixture.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 cabbage rolls equals 281 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch.