Cabbage Wraps Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 8 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture on each reserved cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, basil, thyme and sugar. Spread half on the bottom of an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with cabbage rolls and remaining tomato sauce mixture.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 281 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 897mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Cabbage Wraps
"My husband & I both enjoyed this recipe. It wasn't too labor intensive and the flavor was really good. Just as a tip - I found that it took about 15 minutes of boiling the cabbage for it to fall off the head."
"A bit time consuming, but worth it! My family loves this recipe and I make it often."
"This is a keeper."