Cabbage With Meat Sauce Recipe
A flavorful meat sauce is served over thinly sliced cabbage—instead of hot cooked noodles—for a deliciously different dish.—Janet Carter, Tullahoma, Tennessee
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion until the sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 1 hour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven; saute cabbage over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; top with the meat sauce. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 295 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC