A flavorful meat sauce is served over thinly sliced cabbage—instead of hot cooked noodles—for a deliciously different dish.—Janet Carter, Tullahoma, Tennessee
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion until the sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 1 hour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven; saute cabbage over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; top with the meat sauce. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage With Meat Sauce in Taste of Home February/March 1995, p41
Reviews for Cabbage With Meat Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2011
"Delicious and easy to make. We used Bob Evans Italian style pork sausage for a little more zip. We added a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to each serving."