Cabbage Wedges with Beef
"When you're pinching pennies, you look for filling meals with inexpensive ingredients," Sue VanDlac writes from her home in Everett, Washington. "This skillet dinner is always a hit. I love preparing it for my family."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a small
- bowl, combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; add to
- skillet. Stir in the oats, parsley, garlic powder and pepper.
- Core the cabbage and cut into six wedges; arrange over meat mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 280 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 932 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.