My husband was never too fond of cabbage—until the first time he tried this recipe from my aunt. Now he even asks me to make this soup!—Nancy Stevens, Morrison, Illinois
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef, browned and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a stockpot, cook the cabbage, celery and onion in water until
- tender. Add bouillon, salt, pepper, beef and tomato sauce. Bring to
- a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and
- ketchup; simmer another 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield:
- 20 servings (5 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 80 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.