Cabbage Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, cabbage, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each roll. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Sloppy Joes(6)
Sort By :
I make these a lot and really love them. My husband is not a fan of sloppy joes but he does like these, which is funny because he hates cabbage. Ok , he does not know that's one of the ingredents.
I love this recipe, but my husband hates any kind of sloppy Joe, so I can only make it when he's not home. I cut the amount of lemon juice and vinegar in half. Even my kids like these, and it's so healthy!
These were fantastic! I almost passed this recipe up because of the cabbage, but I'm glad I didn't. These are the best Sloppy Joes I've had... they are now replacing my longtime favorite Sloppy Joe recipe, everyone in my family has rated this one number 1! Best of all, my two toddlers ate these up, not even realizing there was cabbage, celery or green peppers in them. This one's a keeper! We loved the tanginess, it wasn't overboard... but if it seems too much, it's very simple to just decrease the amount of lemon juice or ketchup and then add more if needed. Thanks for a great recipe!
Great way to get veges in the kids without them knowing. I also used ground trukey instead of beef. I often substitute turkey or ground pork or a combination, again I don't tell my family. Turkey of course is more costly but overall better for you.
We make it with veggie crumbles for a healthier meal, yet it still tastes great.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Sloppy Joe Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Sandwiches >