Cabbage Sausage Supper
"Everyone is surprised at how this flavorful combination calls for just a few ingredients," comments Ruby Williams from Bogalusa, Louisiana. "I complete the meal with a no-bake fruit dessert."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion over medium
- heat until sausage is lightly browned and onion is tender; drain.
- Add the cabbage and water. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes
- or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-1/4 cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat smoked sausage) equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.