- 2 pounds smoked sausage, halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is lightly browned and onion is tender; drain. Add the cabbage and water. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Sausage Supper
"I made a few adjustments due to family preferences. Substituted Italian hot chicken sausage and used a can of cannelini instead of potatoes. Also used chicken broth instead of water. It was yummy"
"This is a fantastic dinner and so easy! I do agree with most reviewers that you need to add another cup of water, add salt and pepper, and up the cooking time to a full hour. I also prefer to use small yellow or red potatoes too for a better flavor."
"Easy and yummy! I only seasoned with salt and pepper. Would make again for another quick meal."
"Super yummy and easy. I did not have any trouble getting the veggies to cook with the 1/2 cup water, but I did chop all the vegetables small. (sliced carrots and potatoes with the food processor and diced the onions) I replaced 2 of the potatoes with sweet potatoes only because I like the mix of sweet and regular potatoes. I also cooked on the stovetop with some butter to cook the onions and cabbage first. I cooked the sausage in a different frying pan while cooking the veggies. I added the water and covered the veggies and they were done in just about the 20-25 min."
"This recipe has a delicious flavor, but unless you like your vegetables half raw at least double all cooking times and add about another 1/2 to 1 cup water. Also, add some salt and pepper to taste. The sausage and onion needs to be browned in a bit of butter or oil. With those few modifications I would then rate this recipe a 5."