Cabbage Sausage Stew
"Because we live an hour's drive from work, I want something fast and easy to prepare for dinner when I get home," relates Pauline Rye of Titus, Alabama. "This flavorful combination of sausage, potatoes and cabbage makes a filling supper served with a salad and rolls."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 small head cabbage, cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- In a skillet, cook sausage until lightly browned. Add potatoes,
- cabbage and onion. Sprinkle with the oregano, brown sugar and salt
- if desired and pepper. Pour tomatoes over all. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes
- and cabbage are tender. Serve in bowls. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with low-fat turkey kielbasa and no-salt-added stewed tomatoes and without brown sugar and salt) equals 152 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer