Cabbage Sausage Soup
My partner and I grow 300 acres of cabbage twice a year, then we harvest it by hand. This hearty soup showcases cabbage in a savory tomato broth.—Bill Brim, Tiffin, Georgia
16 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic over
- medium heat until meat is browned. Add cabbage; cook and stir for
- 3-5 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).