Cabbage Sausage Soup
From Derry, Pennsylvania, Nancy Allman shares this hearty autumn soup featuring smoked sausage. "It's perfect for hurried cooks," Nancy writes. "My mother made it when we had an abundance of cabbage from our garden."
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small cabbage, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, bring broth, cabbage and onion to a boil. reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add sausage; heat through.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk,
- stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings
- (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 179 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,264 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.