- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Cabbage Sausage Soup
Sort By :
Did not like this at all, way too bland.
We first tried this recipe a couple of years ago and it is a family favorite. Super easy and quick to make. Very flavorful and hearty. Having two strapping young men and a husband we often double the sausage to suite their appetites. Great for potlucks too but be ready to hand out the recipe.
Very disappointing. Bland.