- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Cabbage Sausage Soup
Sort By :
"I saw this recipe some years back and tried it. It's simple, good and easy. I cook a lot, not afraid of a complicated recipe and I have to say that this is one of my favorite fall back soups recipes. Thanks for sharing it."
"Did not like this at all, way too bland."
"We first tried this recipe a couple of years ago and it is a family favorite. Super easy and quick to make. Very flavorful and hearty. Having two strapping young men and a husband we often double the sausage to suite their appetites. Great for potlucks too but be ready to hand out the recipe."
"Very disappointing. Bland."